FAQs 2017-01-13T07:53:26+00:00


You can update your change of address details by calling us on 0845 468 1992.
Your internal stop tap is the point where you can turn off the water supply to your home or business. It is important that you check to make sure the tap is working ok every so often. So if there is an emergency you can stop the water supply. If it’s leaking or broken you will need to contact a plumber.
When reading your water meter, you only need to record the black digits. Please ignore the red digits when supplying a reading for billing purposes. You can update a meter reading by calling us on 0845 468 1992.
Water meters are generally located outside the property at the external boundary box. Your boundary box will either be a small metal lid the size of a CD case with STW on the top, or a small round plastic lid the size of a plate with STW on the top.
If you’re concerned that your meter may be faulty there is a quick simple test you can do to find out. Make sure all water appliances are switched off (including the internal stop tap) Take a reading from the meter and leave the supply off for 2 to 3 hours, then take another reading. The reading should be exactly the same. If it’s not leave your internal stop tap turned off and contact us for further advice.
There are 3 types of measured water and sewerage charges: The standard measured tariff where a measured supply of water is made available subject to our standard terms and conditions of metered water. The sewerage charges are usually calculated on the assumption that 95% of the water consumption recorded by the meter is discharged to the sewer. Where it is not reasonably practicable to fit a meter or it is unreasonably expensive to fit one, then we may charge on an assessed basis. Customers may choose our industrial tariff when a large volume of water is used at a single site and/or the discharge of savage is 100 Ml or more per annum from a single site. For traders who have been permitted to discharge trade effluent directly or indirectly to a public sewer, they will be charged on a trade effluent tariff. This will either be on our standard tariff or where the volume of effluent discharged from a single site is 100 Ml or more, then you may choose the industrial tariff.
VAT is not currently chargeable on sewage services.
VAT will be added to water supply charges to relevant industrial customers who are defind within divisions 1-5 of the standard industrial classification list 1980 (SIC).
Div1 Energy and water supply industries
Div2 Extraction of minerals and ores other than fuels, manufacture of metal, mineral products and chemicals.
Div3 Metal goods, engineering and vehicle industries.
Div4 Other manufacturing industries.
Div5 Construction
Where supplies are for both relevant industrial activities and other purposes, VAT is chargable if the predominant activity of the customer falls within any of the above divisions. Water supply charges to all other customers are zero rated for VAT purposes. Other services provided may be subject to VAT.
All non-household supplies are required to be metered wherever practicable. This includes non-household premises who’s water usage might be mainly or solely for domestic purposes as well as mixed use premises. Premises in multiple occupation e.g guest houses & nursing homes may also be required to be metered.
Our business customers receive a monthly invoice which states the agreed budget plan. Reconciliation statements are produced periodically or when requested by the client.
A cubic meter of water (1m3) is equivalent to 1000litres, 1759 pints and 220 gallons.
If you require a new water supply please call us on 0845 468 1992. We will then arrange for an application to be completed.
This is a simple device that fits inside the toilet cistern. Every time the toilet is flushed the hippo will save up to three litres of water.